The increase in the population of the third age is a reality. Faced with this situation, organizations, and society in general, are looking for a way for this group to enjoy the ideal conditions to live satisfactorily.
But, in addition, it is also necessary to understand that having an active and happy third age is an objective that involves the whole family.
1. Prepare: As we prepare to get to the university or to go to school, we must prepare to reach the third age.
We must take into account several considerations among them, keep the body in motion, in case that for years the person is pensioned, must seek to maintain an adequate cognitive stimulation, have a strong social circle and be aware of what activities or hobbies I would like to practice to focus your daily schedule on those activities that before, due to the day-to-day responsibilities, I practically could not practice.
2. Independence: We must ensure that the older adult has its independence and, above all, maintains its decision-making power throughout its third age, to the extent that it can physically and mentally do so.
3. Socialization: Generally, when the person reaches a certain age and requires a care or help for their day to day, without realizing it, we isolate the older adult to the four walls of our home and we limit their socialization to only the person who Take care and your closest family circle.
4. Exercise: during all stages of life, exercising is key for the human being to have a better health and quality of life. As the years go by, the sport that is practiced should focus on disciplines that are more suited to physical possibilities and appropriate, depending on the age.
5. Cognitive activities: Just as we must keep our bodies active, we must also exercise our mind. It is important that as an older adult we have spaces for cognitive activities which improve the person’s performance in daily activities such as bathing, dressing, traveling and promoting greater social interaction.
6. Adequate food: a varied and healthy diet ensures that the elderly have quality of life. The food in the third age must go according to the needs of energy, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals. This in order to avoid deficiencies in the consumption of nutrients such as protein, vitamin C, calcium, iron and folates, and ensure a healthy diet.
7. Medical control: the natural aging process affects our body and therefore, we must have a regular medical control, with specialists in the area that require it. The third age is a stage in which we must put aside the fear of going to the doctor and be aware that medicine has made great progress with which we will achieve a quality of life.
8. Family: Last, but not least, something fundamental in the life of the elderly is the role of the family. It is vital to always be close to them and involved in the day to day of family dynamics.
Leave a reply