The brain begins to age around 40 years, although some experts advance the beginning of this aging process to the 30s. Cognitive functions, such as the ability to reason and memory, begin to deteriorate long before we begin to have distractions and forgetfulness, and to regret how clueless we have become.
However, and before being alarmed because we do not remember the name of a person who just presented us, or what we ate on Sunday, or where we parked the car yesterday when we arrived home, it should be noted that although it does not affect all people equally, it is normal to have certain shortcomings, and even more difficulties to learn new things and fix memories than when we were young.
But it is also important to know that aging does not, by itself, cause a significant loss of memory, and that instead of being isolated episodes, forgetfulness is frequent and important, to the point of interfering with the normal development of memory. your daily activities and affect your quality of life, it is necessary to immediately consult a doctor because it can be a symptom of other diseases
Experts say that a healthy brain makes new neural connections and learns new things throughout life. However, the aging process, stress and an unhealthy lifestyle affect him negatively, short-term memory and cognitive functions progressively fail.
The memory deficit in the third age is diverse. In some cases it represents the beginning of a neurodegenerative disease and in others it can be caused by clinical disorders such as depression and anxiety.
It must be taken into account that forgetting is common in an adult person and, therefore, it is necessary to discriminate between old age or illness, when consulting the doctor.
On the one hand there is benign oblivion, the difficulty of remembering data or relatively important information that can be remembered later. On the other, pathological forgetting is different.
Relatives or the surrounding environment are worried, but the affected person often does not realize what is happening to them, has difficulty remembering recent important data because they forget the situation completely, as if they had never lived it.
Control of memory loss
- Get used to leaving the house with the keys in your hand, and always check that there is no other key inserted in the interior lock. If you turn it into a custom you will avoid having to call a locksmith.
- When you are going to throw away the garbage, do not carry in your hand the waste bags and the house or car keys, because they could end up in the container.
- Some experts recommend studying aloud to better set the knowledge, and you can also find it very useful to talk to yourself out loud, listing the tasks you have to do or your short-term leisure plans.
- Help yourself with the images to remember, for example, where you have parked the car in the parking lot of the shopping center by looking at objects that are in the entrance through which you have accessed it if it is a sales area, or in which stores or stands there are at the end of the stairs.
- Sleep A good night’s sleep is essential to keep your mind clear the next day and to consolidate memories; I’m sure you’ve already proven that when you’ve slept well you’re more receptive and improve your attention span.
The keys to avoid forgetfulness in old age go through having a good quality of life as is the control of high blood pressure, the supervision and treatment of cholesterol and diabetes, as well as avoiding tobacco and alcohol. There are other easy and everyday things that make the day to day much better.
When to worry about cognitive deterioration? We must distinguish between what is considered normal and alarm signals. These are some of the warning signs to which we must be vigilant:
When you do not remember the name of very close people, like family members.
When you can not learn a new action, for example, make a new television control work, even if it is very simple.
if you want to know more information visit our social networks @adultcounselingcenter99Leave a reply